Wednesday, October 15, 2008

A New Beginning

I hate writing, blogging, journaling, etc. I enjoy reading what others write, I just don't do it myself. But since "research shows" journaling increases your success of losing weight, I'm going for it. This will probably not interest many, but it is for my own health. Maybe someone else will benefit too.

On October10 I started the "Flat Belly Diet." This was by the recommendation of my nurse practitioner because of my struggle since having kids and my risk for diabetes. I have been working out faithfully since the beginning of September, but my middle just won't budge, even with results elsewhere. So the NP tells me this diet is the only thing that will work. I have tried many diets before. Weight Watchers, Adkins, and my own little diets. I never follow through, never see lasting results, and am now at my wits end.

In the last few weeks something just changed. Something clicked in my brain. I think this is finally the time. There are several reasons I want to lose weight. I want to be healthy. I don't want to have diabetes. I want to be a good example for my kids and others. And of course I want to be a hot mom! These are things I have always wanted, but something lately has really moved me to take action.

The problem. I love food. When I was a kid I remember several times being very sick and when the doctor would ask my mom about my appetite, she would say, "oh it's fine." I remember coming out of surgery after having my tonsils and adenoids out and asking the guy pushing me to my room for food. And as much as I have denied it in the past, I am an emotional eater. Happy...eat...sad...eat...angry...eat...excited...eat...eat...eat! I can blame this on my upbringing. I can blame this on my stressful life. At this point, I don't feel like blaming anyone. I am what I have become and now it's going to change. Maybe some day I will pay a lot of money in therapy to figure out why I feed my emotions. But for now, mom, you're off the hook.

So the NP says The Flat Belly Diet is about the only thing that will work for me. So I leave the clinic, get online and order the book for 9.95. I anxiously await its arrival and binge on carbs in the mean time. It was kind of my farewell to carbs celebration. The book arrived on Thursday, I stayed up after everyone was in bed and read a good chunk of it, got up the next morning with my shopping list and headed to Walmart before anyone was even up. So Friday I began the "anti bloat jump start" which is a 4 day horrific experience. The first day wasn't that bad, but days 2, 3 and 4 were miserable for me. I went to a cookout, a family dinner, a small group with pizza, and served food at the Farm Festival and did not touch a single morsel. I was grumpy, angry, tired, weak and miserable. I was even mad at the authors of the book. But determined. Mind you this is unlike any determination I have ever experienced when it comes to food. For some reason I kept going. I think people were praying for me because I was physically and emotionally miserable, but stuck to the plan.

Then came day 5! Here's how the rest of the diet works. I eat four 400 calorie meals a day, with each meal containing a serving of a mono unsaturated fatty acid, or MUFA. MUFAs come from olives, avocados, nuts, and get this DARK CHOCOLATE! Yeah! So even though I am eating way fewer calories than before, the food I am eating is good, and I'm eating every 4 hours, so it hasn't been that bad at all. Actually, I have been surprised at how good it is. And I am completely disgusted by the amount and the things I was eating before. One of the FBD breakfast meals is a whole wheat English muffin with 2 tablespoons of peanut butter and a half a banana. It's actually pretty filling and good. There are a ton of different meals to choose from. Some of the ingredients I haven't found around here yet, but I am making due. Tonight I had a veggie burger (a first for me) on an English muffin with cheese, sliced avocado, smoked red peppers and spinach leaves. I really wasn't sure about it, but it was delicious!

So I am encouraged that I can actually pull this thing off. I've lost almost 5 pounds and for the first time in years my wedding ring is loose. My short term goal is to be able to wear my diamond again. Long term, hot mom. And healthy of course.

Please pray that I continue on my health journey. I am excited and ready. Thanks to those of you who have supported me in this. And to those of you who have told me to cheat just this once, I'm ignoring you. I may even stop hanging out with you, at least temporarily!

3 comments:

paulawilliamswray said...

YOU GO GIRL! I am SO proud of you! Makes one think about how they have been eating. We get so busy and it is easy to just shovel food in instead of stopping and thinking about it. So glad I haven't told you to cheat! I would miss you terribly! Have a glorious day my friend and keep up the good work! HOT MOM HERE YOU COME!

Tracy said...

I am so glad to hear that the "just do it" factor kicked in. I don't know what it is. You live with it for so long & hate it at the same time but you just don't care or can't bring yourself into doing what you know you need to be doing because of the love of food! I let myself go, as you know, for over a year. I think I just looked in the mirror one day & hated myself SO much that I decided...THIS IS IT! (Plus I was turning 40!)
Anyhow, congrats! And love ya!!!!
Tracy

Patty said...

Amy~
I am so proud of you. You will have to keep us posted. I am thinking about ordering the book for myself and Dave. I know you can do it and I would NEVER tell you to cheat. You Go Girl!!!!!!