Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Hula Horror


Tonight I began a new part of my exercise routine. A friend of mine who has had great success at weight loss suggested I purchase a weighted hula hoop. I had never heard of one these. When I was a kid I used to hula hoop all the time. I loved it. I was also skinny. So I researched hula hoops online and found the one for me. I ordered a four pound medium ACU Hoop. I have anxiously awaited for it to arrive for several days. It was on the porch when I got home this evening. It came in eight pieces, all different colors. They are made of foam and snap together. Of course my obsessive seven year old insisted that I assemble the pieces in ROYGBIV so they would look like a proper rainbow. I assembled it and was surprised at how large it was. This wasn't going to be a big deal. I was great at hula hooping and I can still do it with Brett's hula hoop. No problem. WRONG!

The torture began. I swung that bad boy around my belly and could not believe the pain! It only stayed up for about 4 seconds! The instructions said for the first week to only use it for one to three minutes. Being the over achiever that I am, I wanted to go for at least 5 minutes. I made it but mostly in just 4 second intervals! I think the longest it stayed up was about 20 seconds. It took every ounce of strength I had to keep that thing going. When the directions say "forcefully" swing the hoop, it means FORCEFULLY swing it! I was out of breath and couldn't believe I got such a work out! But I survived. Beth had warned me that for some time after she started she actually had bruising from the impact of the hoop. I am quite sure I will have multiple bruises tomorrow.

As Jamie and the kids watched they thought it was quite funny. Jamie said it looked painful. I have red blotches all over my abdomen. This better be worth it! I will decide later if Beth really wants to help or if she's playing an evil trick on me!

No comments: